Feb 9, 2013

2012 JazzSea Caribbean Cruise

On January 2, 2012, my wife and I boarded the Holland America Cruise ship, M.S. Maasdam for an 11 day JazzSea cruise to the southeast Caribbean leaving from and returning to Ft. Lauderdale, FL. We enjoyed visits to 7 islands: Half Moon Cay (Bahamas), St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Vincent, Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten.








There was music everyday on board the ship in various venues. I performed 2 solo concerts on my banjo in the "Crow's Nest" with accompaniment by Karla West on piano. On other days, I conducted the "Banjos Aweigh" band - 25 members consisting of amateur banjo players and other instrumentalists, eg, trombone, clarinet, violin, and washboard. On other occasions, I made guest appearances in the various featured jazz bands. On one occasion, I accompanied Karla West as she performed a Ragtime concert.






In the "Crow's Nest" 





Rehearsing with "Banjos Aweigh" in the
Half Moon Room







Conducting "Banjos Aweigh" in the
Ocean Bar wearing our new JazzSea T-shirt




Banjos Aweigh concert in the Ocean Bar









Banjos Aweigh concert by the Lido pool





Dinner with my wife, Nida







 In 2013, this same ship, the Maasdam, will tour the JazzSea group for the organization's 30th anniversary cruise.